Caring for lenses
- Rinse the lenses under warm running water.
- Wash them carefully with a mild soap (like dish soap) and warm water. If necessary, use a wet cotton or soft cloth to clean.
- Wipe the soap off with a circular motion as you rinse the glasses under warm water.
- Dry the glasses gently with a soft cotton towel or chamois. If they are truly clean, almost all the water will rinse off and you will only need to dry the frames.
- Brush any grime off the nose pads with a soft toothbrush, but be careful not to accidentally graze the lenses.
- Never touch the lenses when they are dry. Dirt particles will scratch the surface.
- Never polish the lenses or rub them hard with a dry cloth.
- Never use ammonia cleaners, they will damage the lens coating.
- Do not dry your glasses with a facial tissue, as it is a wood product and the wood fibers can damage your lenses.
- Be cautious about washing plastic glasses under very high temperatures. While hot temperatures will clean better, some plastics might deform.
- Never use hand soap or hand wash to clean your glasses. They usually end up actually making the lenses dirtier! You're better off using dish / washing up liquid. If it's good enough for your drinking glasses, it's good enough for your eye glasses.
- Some manufacturers of glasses frames make them with screws that hold the lenses in place. Be cautious with such frames as screws may come out easily
There are two major categories for lenses:
Single Vision Lenses
Single vision lenses have the same focal power throughout (top to bottom) and can be used to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, or a combination of these disorders. Most people who wear glasses before the age of 40 have single vision lenses.
Multifocal literally means "having more than one focus," so bifocal and trifocal lenses are actually types of multifocal lenses. In addition to bifocal and trifocal lenses, the other multifocal is a progressive addition (no-line bifocal) lens that increases in power from top to bottom. Progressive lenses have no clear dividing lines as the focus changes from bottom to top. They have become popular in recent years because they look like single vision glasses.
Since 1959, with the invention of the world’s first progressives, Varilux has innovated lens science to advance and set new standards of performance for vision and vision care for presbyopic patients. A combination of two good things, technology and innovation, Varilux progressive lenses provide clear vision at all distances without the age-old and unsightly bifocal lines. And with more than 300 million lenses sold worldwide, Varilux is the progressive lens brand that eye care professionals trust and recommend most. Varilux enables you to see near, far and everything in-between and look fabulous at the same time.
DEFINITY™ progressive lenses are the only PAL that utilizes DUAL ADD® Technology, a patented, dual-surface, offset design which provides several distinct optical advantages: a wider intermediate zone, the least amount of peripheral distortion of any PAL and a unique zone of correction called GROUND VIEW ADVANTAGE™.
GROUND VIEW ADVANTAGE features a reduction in power which minimizes distortion and flattens the field of vision, giving wearers greater clarity when looking down.
Another significant benefit of DUAL ADD and GROUND VIEW ADVANTAGE is that these advantages become more pronounced as add power increases. As a result, DEFINITY remains the right solution for presbyopes as they age.
DEFINITY is the perfect lens for the active lifestyles of today’s presbyopes. With the superior intermediate vision, DEFINITY makes computer use, driving or any other everyday activity more comfortable. With clearer vision when looking down, DEFINITY makes going up and down stairs, playing golf or tennis, or navigating uneven surfaces easier.
Airwear® provides a unique combination of benefits that make it the ideal choice for today’s active lifestyles, and provides the wearer with superior comfort and performance. Airwear® lenses are 43% lighter and 10 times more impact resistant than standard plastic lenses, so they have the lightness and strength you need in a lens while also providing the enhanced comfort and cosmetic appearance you desire.
Vision Care providers say 80% of their patients want more cosmetically appealing eyeglass lenses. Thin&Lite® Lenses are made from high-index plastic resulting in a thinner, flatter more comfortable lens.
With a higher refractive index Thin&Lite® lenses produce the same vision correction as a regular plastic lens but in a thinner and flatter lens—for improved appearance and better vision.
Crizal®, the #1 Anti-reflective brand for Eye Care Professionals, and Scotchgard Protector, the #1 consumer brand in protection, have joined forces to give you the ultimate in cleanability and protection. Crizal Avancé with Scotchgard Protector lenses repel stains, dirt and smudges better than any other, making them the easiest to clean. And, while many AR lenses offer an easy-to-clean surface when new, the effectiveness of this feature deteriorates over time, leaving the lenses difficult to clean. Independent Lab tests prove Crizal Avancé with Scotchgard Protector lenses start out the easiest to clean and stay that way over the life of the prescription.
Transitions® lenses change from clear to dark in the presence of ultraviolet light, and block 100% of harmful UV rays. They offer all the benefits of clear lenses indoors, while providing the most convenient way to help protect against UV rays and glare in all light conditions. Transitions® lenses provide a new standard of lens performance, and they are available in a full range of lens designs and materials. Combine Transitions® lenses with Crizal Avancé® with Scotchgard®, and you get ultimate clarity and performance — along with the UV protection.
Xperio is a new brand of polarized lenses that brings together the very best industry leading designs and materials from Essilor, KBco and Specialty Lens Corporation. With Xperio polarized lenses, you can offer your patients superior visual performance and optimal comfort in the widest range of polarized offerings available. In fact, Xperio offers 47 unique polarized lens design and material combinations.
All lenses that carry the Xperio name meet or exceed Essilor’s rigorous performance standards. Xperio polarized lenses are superior to ordinary tints with benefits that include: glare reduction, true color perception, unmatched clarity of vision and superior scratch resistance. Combined with 100 percent UVA /UVB protection, Xperio allows your patients to experience their world more safely and more beautifully.